Wednesday, September 28, 2005

New York, Upstate New York, I Presume

Last week I went to “The” Ohio State football game against San Diego. I emphasize “The” because apparently that is how it is articulated here in Ohio. Turns out Ohioans are proud of their Buckeyes and I understand why after seeing the game. It was pretty spectacular. I had never been to a college football game before. I guess a combination of going to a women’s college and growing up in Upstate New York contributed to never having been to a college football game. I had never even thought about Ohio State before moving here much less college football.

I was saying at the game that it was my first college football game. The man sitting next to me overheard me and then said with a coy, ever knowing smirk, “You’re from New York aren’t you.” Astounded, thinking perhaps he was as well I replied, “Yes, yes, I am!” Then he clarified, “Upstate, right?” Flabbergasted by the obvious intelligence of this man… for it is clear to me that anyone who can pick out a New Yorker must be intelligent, I of course, replied with great pride “Yes! Yes!”

Turns out he had a roommate at one time from Upstate New York and his roommate knew nothing about college football or “The” Ohio State either. I guess I am not alone out there with regards to my lack of knowledge of college football…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home